Monday, October 6, 2008

A New Kind of Normal

Get It Down; 31 for 21

I have been trying to post this link on all my October blogs, but for some reason it keeps getting messed up when it comes time for me to post them! So October is Down Syndrome Awareness Month! So I am trying to post 31 post for 21! A lot of other mother's of children with DS are doing the same thing! You may also note that for some reason I like saying T-21 better than I like down syndrome! It is quicker to type and quicker to say!

Anne, wrote about proclaiming that children with T-21 are different! And another blog I found, New Kind of Normal, the title of her blog really made me think! Yes, it is a new kind of normal!

Normal became: NICU, 3 sets of ear tubes, tonsils and adenoids removed, and therapists! To people who think my schedule is busier than theirs, we'll it may be. But it just feels like normal to me!

Carpenter is different! I think as a young child these differences will not be as noticeable as when we becomes an adult! Yes, it took him longer to crawl, walk, run, speak! And you can see those differences! But at the same time, he does all those same things a "normal" child does. He enjoys going to the park, playing with siblings, loving his grandparents, and eating Reese's!

When he walks up the steps using no handrail, I appreciate the difference. That Sadie can just run up them! But that he can walk up them without any help! Neither of which is greater!

It helps me to appreciate his difference, the extra work it takes! Simple things a mother without a special needs child would miss!

So in fact, his difference has made me appreciate life more!

Side note: 97% of people who find out that their child has Down Syndrome have an abortion! I guess they can not see that the difference is a blessing! And that really pulls at my heart!

I would post more but Rowan just woke up and he has his 12 month shots today and feels horrible!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for reading and responding, Stacey!

And I;m proud of you for running the 5K! It doesn't matter how long it took you to finish. What matters is that you did it!

Kelly said...

I love love love that precious boy!
The difference is YOU Stace. You never once, since day one, let any set backs get you down for long. You teach Carpenter every second of the day. You immerse him in language, physical activity, learning, and love. He soaks it all in and accomplishes great things!
God has greatly blessed your household.