Thursday, October 9, 2008

Anniversary

Today is a very special day to me! And many of you might not even know it! Four years ago, we brought our oldest son, Carpenter, home from the NICU! He spent 24 days in the NICU! Like, I have said before you never imagine while you are pregnant that your son will be 5 weeks early and have to stay in the hospital 24 days! That first night home was very hard on me! I ached for Carpenter!

I was really never worried about his life! Carpenter was just working on feeding and growing! When I ride by the hospital, I often think about my time there! Everything was so routine, I would often forget my trek up to the hospital! I went to the hospital two times a day! I probably would have spent the night there if I didn't have Marley at home! I almost stayed at the Ronald McDonald house, but I knew other families would need to stay there more! I had to take Marley to school and try not to let her life be too altered because Carpenter was in the hospital! I often look up at that hospital and think of all the families that are there right now with their kids! I would often want to go up there and help, I would love to be a support person there! Be able to talk to parents! That hospital was a great deal like a home for Carpenter and myself! I loved Carpenter's nurses! What sweet people! But I longed to bring my baby home! So this is a special day, a day my son came home! A day I will never forget and a day that I am so grateful for!

To all of those parents who may be there now, my thoughts and prayers are with you!

I look back on that time and see that my life was given an even greater purpose with Carpenter! I know that sounds all corny but it is true!


Carpenter crying! He had the cutest little cry! You can see in the background a list of able visitor's! Only 6 people could visit Carpenter! Jon, myself, my mom, and dad, and Gary and Suzanne! They were able to be at the hospital when I wasn't able to be! I am so grateful! Not even Marley was aloud to go see him, once I got to hold him up through a rear glass door and show Marley her brother!

Look at that beautiful face without wires! I can not fully verbalize what it is like to hold your son without gloves, gown, and wires! It was amazing!

First outfit way too BIG! Needed something smaller!

Jon, Marley, and Carpenter

Look how tiny Marley was!

Little Man!

Jon and his babies!

Gran, Marley, and Carpenter

Daddy's boy from the beginning!

Get It Down; 31 for 21

2 comments:

Roxann said...

Marley looks so little ... and so cute. She is so good with her sister and brothers. I do remember days when I was afraid you would fall asleep on the way home from visiting Carpenter at the hospital, your day was so full. God does give special children to special parents. I love the way he laughs, its like having Elmo in person.

Kelly said...

I remember those days too. You were such an awesome mother. (You still are!) Carpenter is so lucky to have such a wonderful family!