Saturday, October 4, 2008

Lauren's Hope ~ Aunt Het Day

Today, Jon and I did our first ever 5K with the Lauren's Hope Run! To tell you the truth! I really didn't want to get up and do it! I need more sleep! So we got up late! But we ended up making it there on time! My mom came over to watch the kids, so Jon and I could do the run/walk by ourselves!

First of all we were getting there right on time for them to say go, that we didn't get a chance to stretch! See, usually I walk pushing the stroller 2-3 times per week! Well this past week I walked everyday trying to get into better shape! But that did not seem to help!
Jon and I before the race!

We walked/ran along the side of town I usually do not do, you know the hilly side! All along the route Jonathan would tell me ways we could short cut! I love listening to his memories from childhood! Of how he rode his bike all around town to friends houses! And to think my kids would not be able to do the same, not because I do not trust them but because of the dangers out there! Okay, so back to the race! Jon and I did do a combination of run/walk! I liked to drink the water along the way(but you know me the recycle/litter nut did not want to throw the cup on the ground), he did not! When we walked we people watched the different runners stances! We came to the conclusion that if you are a pretty good runner, you do weird things with your arms as you trot by! So when we made it to Quail Run, that was our first taste of disgust because the avid runners were already on their home stretch! Putting us to shame!

To say that my lower body does not ache with every step, would be a lie! Okay Anne, don't laugh but we did the 5K in 45 minutes! Several older generations put us to shame! But Jon was very encouraging to keep running! I just didn't wait to stop dead before the finish line! I tried to beat Jon to the finish line, but my body couldn't! Jon and I crossed the finish line together just like how we crossed the start line! Hopefully that will be a metaphor for the rest of our lives!

Next, we had signed Marley up for the Kids Fun Run which was 1 mile! We didn't teach Marley how to dig around the corners and take tight turns! So she took the longer route, to carefully not let anyone fall down! But she pulled through and took the lead from 3rd to 1st in twenty feet! She was so truly excited! We were so proud! At least one of the Long's finished strong! She got a medal!

Marley greeted with a hug from her little sis!
Then we took the kids to Aunt Het day in downtown FI! Then I took the babies home to nap while Jon worked and then watched the Carolina game at the Long's! Then we joined them at the 4th quarter! And then went to my parents for dinner! Whooo! I am tired!

So here we sit, Jon in his chair, and myself on the couch aching but proud of our accomplishments! Both ready for bed!










Carpenter, Marley, and Sadie enjoying the rides:


Carpenter, Sadie, And I slide:

No comments: