Sunday, January 13, 2008

Meal Plan



We were spending way too much money on going out to eat. It just seems so handy to grab something on the way home! But I saw that commerical of Kate of "Jon and Kate plus 8" saying how she cooks everything and never goes out to eat and makes everything fresh. I figured if she could cook a home made meal all of the time well then so can I. Well she buys all of this organic food. Why do they make food that is supposed to be good for you and healthy so expensive? I mean I will pay more for stuff made in the USA and is organic but sometimes it is just too expensive. (side note: for those of you with kids who get a little constipated; when I would go to Whole Foods and buy their organic Happy Cow milk, it would make them have a normal bowel movement everyday. Now, Jon is going to have a comment about all I talk about is pee and poo.) Okay so back to the point! I made a meal plan for the whole week. I went to our wonderful church cookbook. And picked out a whole bunch of meals for me to cook. And then I went to the grocery store and bought all of the ingredients. My total for one weeks worth of meals $135. So hopefully I can make that amount a little less by watching sells ads and planing my meals around them. I remember when we had a family of three and our monthly grocery amount was $150 - $200. But with a bigger family becomes bigger bills but also comes with bigger joy.
Monday - Baked Spaghetti
Tuesday - Chef Boyardee Pizza, it is Marley's birthday and that is what she wanted! Can you believe it? I will feed my family for like $4. Granted C.B. Pizza is not the healthiest thing. Anne, this is my version of homemade pizza. Hopefully I can make more completely homemade stuff as I get my planning together.



Wednesday - Meatloaf
Thursday - BBQ Chicken
This is an awesome recipe for BBQ Chicken:
4-6 Chicken Breasts, cut in half
1 jar of barbecue sauce
1 can of coke

Pour all into a crock pot. Turn on low. Cook for 6 hours

by: Cindy Marlar

Friday - Chicken and Wild Rice Casserole

Saturday - it is Sadie's birthday. And birthday party day so I am not sure.

So we hope to be better stewards of God's money that He has blessed us with. I think this will work out well! Plan your meals. Cook them ahead if I can. Sometimes it seems hard to cook with babies crying and breast feeding. But having a game plan makes everything more manageable. I love my night time schedule. I hope to have a schedule that will give me sanity but also will be open to creativity.

Sorry, I know everyone doesn't care about my family's meal plan. But this is my blog and I can write about stupid stuff.

8 comments:

Kelly said...

Good luck! I'm over here cheering you on!

Alison said...

Thanks for posting the recipe. I am going to try that next week. I love to cook with the crock pot! It makes life EASY! Hope you have a great birthday week!

Annie said...

We also spend way too much money eating out! Every now and then I get on this huge kick and decide to make a menu and go shopping. I feel like such the great homemaker when I make all this work. My friend, Jaime, is the MASTER at this because she lived in Aho, AZ were there were no restaurants to drop in and the grocery store that wasn't mego expensive was an hour away so she had to get good at it! I love cooking, I just get bored with making the same recipes. Maybe we should all share more so we can all expand our family menus. :) I am planning to try your BBQ chicken. I make a similar recipe with spag. sauce, chicken and coke and the serve it over rice or egg noodles. It is yummy!

Medic Mom said...

We tried the Chicken recipe tonight. It was pretty good. I think it was a little over cooked though! Thanks for the idea!

Roxann said...

Stacey, in our group today they were talking about how we a facing a problem with obese children because we have a fast food society that is full of bad fats and sugars. To me, anything you make at home will probably be a lot better for the family than always going out. Plus you get more family time eating together than on the go. You're right though, it isn't easy and it takes planning. Plus, they look forward to those delicious baked spaghetti cassoroles. :) (just teasing, we loved your baked spaghetti)

Long's Joyful Journey said...

Christan, I am sorry it was a little over cooked! I made baked spaghetti on Monday night and it was awful! You got to try new recipes I guess. I have been meaning to email you about breast feeding. I will probably do it tonight while the kids are asleep!

Anne said...

Mostly I make frozen pizza, too. I usually only make the homemade version on weekends or for special occasions. :-)

I try to buy organic food, too, but you're right... It's so expensive!

Carly said...

Stacey, my husband lives on pizza. We make Chef Boyardee at least once a week. He rationalizes this by saying how "healthy" it is for us (because the tomato sauce has antioxidants). I think he actually believes it is good for us, but I'm not buying it. But it sure does taste good!