Thursday, November 13, 2008

Special Needs Mommas

Growing up, I don't think that I knew of anyone being a parent of a child with special needs or someone that had special needs, except for one person! And to tell you the truth, I didn't think much about him, nothing bad of course, but never inquired on what life was like for him.

Let's be honest: I don't know anyone going into a pregnancy wanting a special needs child. I never thought I would. Jon and I were a young couple who couldn't wait to have a second child, a sibling for Marley, a little boy! Special Needs never entered our vocabulary. All of the test results came back fine and nothing showed wrong on the in depth ultrasounds, other than Carpenter was not growing. But nothing physically wrong was shown.

We had no idea of the world we were being thrust into!

I want to convey to you that it is not bad. People you enter into acquaintance with seem like it would be impossible to have a child with special needs(they often stick their foot into their mouths). I guess fears of the unknown.

Please read this post about parents of children with special needs. This is a link to the New Kind of Normal Blog. But please read the post. She has written what I couldn't, conveyed what I have wanted!

I am thankful that there is a waiting list for people who want to adopt children with Down Syndrome. Who would of thought?

With all the new genetic testing out there, it does worry me that special needs children will be more scarce. That people will not choose life! For me it was not a choice, it was a gift given from God. God has blessed me so with being a mother, more than I have ever dreamed or deserved!

4 comments:

Roxann said...

Sarah Palin was on tv today and she was talking about how she was at a celebration of some sort for Down Syndrome and everyone had fun signs. Things like I'm an Xcellent Kid for the extra chromasone and I liked the one she talked about that instead of my kid is smarter than your kid it was My kid Has More Chromosones than Your Kid. :)

Roxann said...

by the way, you'd would think i could spell chromosomes by now :)

SpencersMum said...

I love that sign..."My Kid has more chromosomes than your kid". Mike has it on his truck and talk about strange looks.....some people I guess have no idea what chromosomes are?!

Jackie said...

Hey Stacey, I don't get by your blog often but today I did and I love this post. I went to the other ladies blog and it truly hits the nail on the head. We do what we have to do when life deals us the unexpected. You seem to be doing a WONDERFUL job as a mom. You set a great example!
Fondly,
Jackie Moore