Thursday, December 4, 2008

My Heart Is Saddened

I came home from picking up the kids from school, and found policemen across the street. I knew that one of my neighbors were possible sick. Then to learn that he had passed away. I just feel terrible.

Here is a man, that his wife passed away in '79. Can you imagine living almost 30 years without your spouse? He has two sons as far as I know. I have only seen one of them come to see him. At the only yearly visit at Christmas time.

I knew this man. Jonathan would help find him someone if something went wrong in his house and we would talk out in the yard, but that was it. I never brought him any food. Never walked up to his door.

All of the fellow neighbors I know were worried about him. He had a pile of papers at the end of his driveway. He would always go out and get his newspaper. Then we thought he was okay because they papers were gone. And someone had rolled his trash can to the road. But fellow neighbors did both of those.

They think he has been dead for two days. I just feel awful.

I thought about doing something this year for the neighbors I knew on the street. I knew he was a diabetic and was looking up recipes for him to make for Christmas.

Our street, is just like that of any other small towns. Streets gridded off of the main streets. These homes are around 50 years old. Some people on this street have been here since their house was built. I like our street, it has old giant trees. Not a neighborhood that has been flatten, like they make now. It still has a charm even though the are not the richest houses in the world.

I have experienced 2 deaths of our neighbors. Our street is a mix of the old original families and new families that come in usually after someone has passed away. I like our mix of people.

There is lot to be said about a community that takes care of the young and old. I feel like I have failed my test. Ashamed that is is too late to form a real relationship.

I watched as the police and EMS were here. I watched as the coroner came. I watched as they took his body away. And hoped his family cared. I am sure they did. But you just feel bad that he was alone for two days.

No comments: