Friday, December 12, 2008

Dad's Night October 18, 2004

Marley was looking a couple of weeks ago at her K-4 notebook. It contained alot of stuff she did through out the year. This was a what she filled out in the questionnaire.

My Dad's favorite food is "Hamburgers"
His favorite color is "Blue"
His favorite sport is "Olympics"
We need Daddy at our house because "He has to build the rest of the house!"
When Daddy's at home, he likes to "Sit in his favorite chair"
My favorite thing to do with Daddy is "Play with him"
My Dad's favorite TV show is "Fighting and wrestling"
My Dad is "14" years old.

Marley read this sheet out loud, and we laughed at her funny answers. Jon asked when was that, and Marley said when she was four.

As soon as that enjoyable moment of remembering Marley at 4. It hit me like a ton of bricks. Carpenter is 4. Marley was writing, beginning reading at 4. She could have a conversation with you. A "Genuine" conversation about life, what she liked, who got into trouble at school. It was almost like I had to physically shut my mind off, not to get sad about Carpenter. I think it was good, that Marley and Carpenter are 4 years apart. Because I don't compare them. But on this day I did. I longed for the day when he could have a "real" conversation with me. Carpenter can speak, tell me what he wants. But if I ask him how his day was, or what did you do at school today, there is no real conversation. It totally bums me. I want to share in his world, know what he thinks.

I had to stop comparing them. They are two unique and wonderful children.

But I know the day will come when we will sit together and talk all day, after the other kids have left my house and started families of their own. He will be there. My constant companion.

5 comments:

Meredith said...

Oh Stacey, Carpenter couldn't ask for a better Mom!

SpencersMum said...

The way I look at Stacy....when I am old(real old) I will still get to play Santa for Spencer! Remember the site I sent years ago about the lady in CA that was in her 70's and had Down Syndrome? She loved watching Barney!!!!!

SpencersMum said...

Sorry, should have read "....I look at it...". My brain goes much faster than my fingers can type!

Anonymous said...

Stacey, I guess you can know that when he does start talking better it will be all the more special for our entire family. He has other qualities that define him. He is so precious! Like I told you the other day, he just melted my heart when he spread his arms and ran to me saying "Heyyyyyy!" This was the first time he was happy to see me. Sometimes it takes a bit for him to warm up to me since he doesn't see me as much.

Anonymous said...

Stacey, I guess you can know that when he does start talking better it will be all the more special for our entire family. He has other qualities that define him. He is so precious! Like I told you the other day, he just melted my heart when he spread his arms and ran to me saying "Heyyyyyy!" This was the first time he was happy to see me. Sometimes it takes a bit for him to warm up to me since he doesn't see me as much.