Monday, February 2, 2009

Diagnosis

I can vividly remember when the doctor told us that he thought Carpenter had Down Syndrome. And also remember when our favorite geneticist, Dr. Geer, came in to tell us about Down Syndrome.

That day was filled with alot of emotion. Trying to suck in all the information he gave us. Trying to remember the resources out there and to seek them. Jon and I accepted Carpenter's diagnosis before we even got the chromosome results back. That was our beautiful son, Carpenter Brooks, and he was ours given by God.

Some parents have a hard time with the diagnosis. To each is their own. Everyone deals with the diagnosis in different ways: acceptance, ignorance, denial, apathy, and so on.

The first time I walked into CDS, I realized how lucky I was that my son had Down Syndrome. I know that may seem crazy to some people. But others know when you are blessed.

I am happy that my son has a diagnosis! I am happy we have guidelines to expect, no matter how wonderful or telling they are. We have a support group, we have parents who understand, we have wonderful doctors that see our children just as they are, we have a wonderful supportive family. We have alot.

There are alot of families that do not have a diagnosis. That do not have a remote guideline for their child. Gosh, sometimes I really don't know how they do it.

So here I type, thankful.....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I feel so lucky and a bit blessed myself.

(I didn't know that Carpenters middle name was Brooks!)